1. Developing your career

Whether you're planning your future, looking to change jobs or moving up in your current workplace, the Manitoba government career development site can help you get where you want to go. Check out our decision-making model - it's a tool to get you on the road to success and help you stay there. To find out more, visit us at (English) or (French).

Here are some other job search and career development websites you may find helpful:

2. Student employment in the Manitoba government

STEP Services - If you're a student looking for a government job, check out STEP Services - the government's official, student job-placement service. Eligible students can find full and part-time jobs in government departments, agencies and Crown corporations. Jobs are available throughout the year, in locations across the province. Find answers to all your questions by visiting (English) or (French).

3. Manitoba Youth Job Centres

Manitoba Youth Job Centres provide community-based summer employment referral services throughout rural and northern Manitoba. Local employers, as well as students and youth ages 12 to 29, receive FREE assistance matching qualified job seekers with summer employment.

The centres also provide students and youth with information and education on career development and employment-related skills, such as labour regulations, workplace health and safety, resume preparation, interview assistance and job-search techniques.

For more information, visit the Manitoba Youth Job Centres website at (English) or (French).

4. Safe work for young workers

The Employment Standards Code of Manitoba sets minimum ages and conditions for employment of children. For example, no child under 16 may be employed without a permit from the Director of Employment Standards, and they cannot accept employment which could be a threat to their health or interfere with their education. Also, written permission must be obtained from the parent/guardian and school principal for work during the school year.

Children get the same protection as all other employees covered by Manitoba's Employment Standards. For more information, visit or (French).

You can also get information at your nearest bilingual service centre, including the application forms children less than 16 years of age need to apply for a work permit.

5. High School Apprenticeship program

The High School Apprenticeship Program (HSAP) is all about on-the-job experience with an employer. HSAP provides practical, paid, work experience and credit towards your high school diploma. For more information about the apprenticeship programs in Manitoba, visit

6. Young entrepreneurs

Do you think you have what it takes to be your own boss? The Young Entrepreneurs Business Grant Program encourages Manitoba youth (ages 18-29) to start full-time businesses and consider self-employment as a career choice. For more information, visit the Young Entrepreneurs website at (English) or (French).

Futurpreneur Canada is a similar program that aims to help youth (ages 18-39) to develop the knowledge they need to start a business and apply for financing. For more information, visit (English) or (French).

7. Exchange programs and bursaries for high school students

Discover the French language and culture by learning and studying in French. A variety of bursaries, exchange programs and other financial support is available. For more information, visit the website at (English) or (French).

8. Student loans

The Manitoba Student Aid program provides financial help for post-secondary education to Manitobans with limited finances. For more information, visit their website at (English) or (French).

9. Leaving Manitoba to travel, work, study or settle elsewhere

When you leave the province, you can take steps to ensure you continue to receive benefits from Manitoba Health while you are away on vacation or studying. The coverage you receive, and the steps you have to take, may vary depending on your circumstances. For more information, visit (English) or (French).

10. Birth, marriage or death certificate

The Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency registers and provides certificates for events such as births, deaths and marriages. If you need a birth, death or marriage certificate, complete the appropriate application forms on the Vital Statistics website at (English) or (French).

You can also pick up application forms at your nearest bilingual service centre.

11. Loss or theft of identification cards

If your government-issued identification documents are lost or stolen, it is important to report them right away to the issuing authority, so that they can be cancelled and you can apply to have new documents issued.

You can apply for a replacement Manitoba health card online at If you were born in Manitoba, the application form to request a birth certificate can be printed from the Vital Statistics Agency website at

If you would like some help with this process, visit your local bilingual service centre.

12. Identity theft and fraud

Identity theft and fraud is a growing and serious crime. It happens when someone uses your personal information without your knowledge or consent to impersonate you and commit crimes in your name, usually for financial gain. It can occur over the Internet or telephone, or via fax or regular mail. You should be very careful with unsolicited emails, telephone calls or mail attempting to extract personal or financial information from you. For tips on how to protect yourself, visit (English) or (French).

You can also learn about identity theft and find advice on the following websites:

If you think you’ve been a victim of identity theft, contact the police immediately.

If you need some help with identity theft, contact your local bilingual service centre.

13. Manitoba Health Card

Manitoba Health issues a health card to all Manitoba residents, which includes a nine-digit identification number for each family member. This card entitles the people named on it to health benefits in Manitoba.

If you need a health card, contact the Manitoba Insured Benefits Branch – call 204-786-7101 (in Winnipeg) or toll free 1-800-392-1207 (outside Winnipeg). Call the same numbers if your card gets lost or stolen and you need a replacement card, or if you need to report a change of address or a change in your status or the status of a family member, through marriage, divorce, separation, birth, adoption or death.

For more information on Manitoba Health Cards, visit (English) or (French).

14. Legal name change

If you want to legally change your name, you have to complete the appropriate application form from the Manitoba Vital Statistics office. We have the necessary application forms at our service centres—however, the process can be complicated and it is often easier to go directly to Manitoba Vital Statistics to request a name change. Please note: there is a fee for a legal change of name. For more information, visit (English) or (French).

If you change your name, it is your responsibility to change all other personal identification and documentation (ex: social insurance number, driver’s licence, pensions, passport, permanent resident card, credit cards and debit cards) and to inform the offices and services you deal with. We can help you put together a list of the places you have to contact and explain the procedures you’ll need to follow.

15. Services for newcomers

There are many services available for newcomers to Manitoba. Visit your nearest bilingual service centre and the information specialist will be happy to answer your questions and provide information on services that may be of interest.

Following is a list of some of the things that are available at your nearest bilingual service centre:

  • general information about Winnipeg and Canada, including the many cities, towns and municipalities in Manitoba
  • transit (bus) schedules (Winnipeg only)
  • map of Manitoba
  • social insurance number (SIN) application
  • health insurance application
  • contact information for community organizations
  • contact information for organizations offering language courses
  • services to families
  • settlement programs

16. Free use of computers

All bilingual service centres have public access computers that you can use for things like applying for government services, creating a resume or doing job searches. Use of computers is free, but time limits may apply during busy times.

If you are using the computers at the centres, it helps to have a basic knowledge of computers and how to use them. If time allows, our information specialists can help you with computer use, software and Internet searches.

17. Kids Help Phone

Kids Help Phone offers free phone and web counselling for ages 20 and under. Counsellors are available 24 hours per day, every day of the year. Your calls are anonymous, confidential and non-judgemental.

Call 1-800-668-6868 to speak with a counsellor or visit: (English) or (French)