1. Child care

Children’s early experiences have a deep impact on their brain growth and development. As a result, Manitoba is committed to supporting young children and their families by providing quality, licensed, child-based programs throughout the province. The Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Program website offers information on a wide range of child care services, including:

  • a guide to all licensed child care centres in Manitoba
  • the opportunity to register your children in the province’s Online Child Care Registry
  • the procedures you follow to find out if you are eligible for child care subsidies

Our information specialists can help you with questions about online procedures and applications. Visit your nearest bilingual service centre for assistance.

2. Health care

If you are sick or have a minor injury, and you’re not sure where to go for medical help, the website My Right Care www.myrightcare.ca (English) or www.lessoinsvoulus.ca (French) will link you to the many health services Manitoba offers.

Included in these services is Health Links - Info Santé – a phone-information line, staffed seven days a week, 24 hours a day, by registered nurses who can answer your health care questions (in English or French) and guide you to the care you need. Call any time at 204-788-8200 (in Winnipeg) or toll free 1-888-315-9257 (outside Winnipeg).

Another health care service offered is the Family Doctor Finder Program. This program connects you and your family to a regular primary care provider (ex: doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner) that are accepting new patients. Visit www.manitoba.ca/health/familydoctorfinder/index.html for more information.

Please note: if you have a serious or life-threatening illness or injury, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency department.

3. Manitoba Health Card

Manitoba Health issues a health card to all Manitoba residents, which includes a nine-digit identification number for each family member. This card entitles the people named on it to health benefits in Manitoba.

If you need a health card, you can visit the Manitoba Insured Benefits Branch in person at 300 Carlton Street, Winnipeg, R3B 2K6 or you may print the application form from their website at www.manitoba.ca/health/mhsip/forms.html (English) or www.manitoba.ca/health/mhsip/forms.fr.html (French)

If you have any questions about the Manitoba Health card, call 204-786-7101 (in Winnipeg) or toll free 1-800-392-1207 (outside Winnipeg). Call the same numbers if your card gets lost or stolen and you need a replacement card, or if you need to report a change of address, or a change in your status or the status of a family member, through marriage, divorce, separation, birth, adoption or death.

If you require assistance with this process, or to receive a printed copy of the form, visit your local bilingual service centre. The information specialist would be glad to help you.

4. Resources for families

5. Legal services in French: Infojustice Manitoba

Infojustice Manitoba provides legal information services to Francophones, in French, to improve Francophones’ access to justice within our legal system. Through workshops and individual meetings, the staff at Infojustice Manitoba help individuals understand the various legal matters they could come across in their lives and helps them respond appropriately.

To contact Infojustice Manitoba, call 204-815-5274 (in Winnipeg), toll free 1-844-321-8232 (outside Winnipeg), email infojustice@sfm.mb.ca or visit http://infojustice.ca/ (French) or http://infojustice.ca/english-info/ (English).

6. Legal assistance

Legal Aid Manitoba provides legal help to individuals with low incomes. Visit their website at www.legalaid.mb.ca (English) or www.legalaid.mb.ca/fr/ (French) for more information.

7. Support for landlords and tenants

Our information specialists can give you information, including a variety of forms and publications, on the rights and obligations of landlords and tenants.

For more complete information on matters like rent, repairs, deposits and mediating disputes between landlords and tenants, visit the Manitoba Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB) website at: www.manitoba.ca/cca/rtb/ (English) or www.manitoba.ca/cca/rtb/index.fr.html (French).

8. Community services: 233-ALLÔ

The 233-ALLÔ service seeks to meet the needs of the Francophone community by providing a calendar of community events, registration services and ticket sales, and a directory of French-language services in Manitoba and more.

For details, call 204-233-ALLÔ (2556) or visit www.sfm.mb.ca/en/233-allo.

9. Family violence

The Family Violence Prevention Program plans and develops community programs that help stop family violence. The program provides funding to community-based organizations that offer special services for abused women and their children, and for men living with family violence. For more information, visit the Family Violence Prevention Program website at www.manitoba.ca/fs/fvpp/index.html (English) or www.manitoba.ca/fs/fvpp/index.fr.html (French).

10. Benefits and tax credits

The Manitoba government and the Canadian government offer many benefits and tax credits aimed at helping and supporting families across the province. They include the following:

Visit your local bilingual service centre to receive printed copies of the application forms or to receive some assistance with completion of the forms.

11. Family supports for children with disabilities

Children’s disABILITY Services Program offers a variety of resources and supports to families who are raising a child (or children) with developmental and physical disabilities. These services help parents to care for their children at home in their own communities, so that children have the best opportunity to grow and thrive. For more information, visit www.manitoba.ca/fs/cds/index.html (English) or www.manitoba.ca/fs/cds/index.fr.html (French) .

12. Job supports for people with disabilities (age 16 and older)

The marketAbilities Program helps people 16 years and older, who have disabilities, to find and keep jobs. To find out more about the program, visit www.manitoba.ca/fs/eia/marketabilities.html (English) or www.manitoba.ca/fs/eia/marketabilities.fr.html (French).

13. Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate

The Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency registers and provides certificates for events such as births, deaths and marriages. If you need a birth, death or marriage certificate, complete the appropriate application forms on the Vital Statistics website at vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/index.html (English) or vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/index.fr.html (French).

You can also pick up application forms at your nearest bilingual service centre and we will send the form to the Vital Statistics office for you

14. Change of address

If you have moved to a new location, you will have to change your address with all government services that you currently receive. For example, employment insurance, driver’s licence, Manitoba health card, etc. Visit the Manitoba Address Change website at www.manitobaaddresschange.ca for a quick and easy way to change your address with several government departments and agencies. Our information specialists can help you with this process.

15. Name change

If you want to legally change your name, you have to complete the appropriate application form from the Manitoba Vital Statistics office. We have the necessary application forms at our service centres—however, the process can be complicated and it is often easier to go directly to the Manitoba Vital Statistics office to request a name change. Please note: there is a fee for a legal change of name. For more information, visit vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/change_of_name.html (English) or vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/change_of_name.fr.html (French).

If you change your name, it is your responsibility to change all other personal identification and documentation (ex: social insurance number, driver’s licence, pensions, passport, permanent resident card, credit cards and debit cards) and to inform the offices and services you deal with. We can help you put together a list of the places you have to contact and explain the procedures you’ll need to follow.

16. Loss or theft of identification cards

If your government-issued documents are lost or stolen, it is important to report them right away to the issuing authority, so that they can be cancelled and you can apply to have new documents issued.

You can apply for a replacement Manitoba health card online at www.manitoba.ca/health/mhsip/forms.html. If you were born in Manitoba, the application form to request a birth certificate can be printed from the Vital Statistics Agency website at vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/certificates.html.

If you would like some help with this process, visit your local bilingual service centre.

17. Services for newcomers

There are many services available for newcomers to Manitoba. Visit your nearest bilingual service centre and the information specialist will be happy to answer your questions and provide information on services that may be of interest. Following is a list of some of the things that are available at your nearest bilingual service centre:

  • general information about Winnipeg and Canada, including the many cities, towns and municipalities in Manitoba
  • transit (bus) schedules (Winnipeg only)
  • map of Manitoba
  • social insurance number (SIN) application with Service Canada
  • Manitoba health benefits application
  • contact information for community organizations
  • contact information for organizations offering language courses
  • services to families
  • settlement programs

18. Commissioners for Oaths

Any time you take an oath (ex: pledge, promise) by signing a document such as an affidavit, affirmation or statutory declaration, you must have a commissioner for oaths witness your signature. By signing the document, you are saying that, to your knowledge, everything you have written in the document is true.

There is a commissioner for oaths in each bilingual service centre. If you have a document that needs witnessing, contact the centre before visiting in person, to make sure the commissioner for oaths will be available, and to discuss your documents with the commissioner before you bring them in.

The authority of a commissioner for oaths is very limited. A commissioner can only witness a person’s signature on documents such as affidavits, affirmations and statutory declarations. As well, your documents must be Manitoba documents that are staying in Manitoba.

19. Free use of computers

All bilingual service centres have public access computers that you can use for things like applying for government services, creating a resume or doing job searches. Use of computers is free, but time limits may apply during busy times.

If you are using the computers at the centres, it helps to have a basic knowledge of computers and how to use them. If time allows, our information specialists can help you with basic computer use and Internet searches.