1. Supports and services for older Manitobans

The Manitoba Seniors and Healthy Aging Secretariat (SHAS) promotes the health, independence and well-being of older adults, and helps ensure government policies, programs and legislation meet the needs of seniors. The secretariat offers a variety of supports, services and publications, including:

  • The Seniors’ Information Line - This phone line can address any questions or comments you have about seniors’ programs and services. Call the information line at 204-945-6565 (in Winnipeg) or toll free at 1-800-665-6565 (outside Winnipeg). You can also email the Seniors Information Line at
  • The Seniors’ Guide - The guide contains information on a wide variety of programs and services and is available online at (English) or (French). To receive a print copy, call the Seniors Information Line.

As well, you can pick up a copy of the Seniors’ Guide and get information on seniors’ programs and services at your local bilingual service centre.

2. Housing for seniors

Manitoba Housing offers housing accommodations for seniors 55+ throughout Manitoba. For more information contact your local Housing Leasing Office. View the list of offices at the following website To receive assistance with this process, contact the information specialist at your nearest bilingual service centre.

Although many seniors can remain active and independent in their own homes, others need a little help to continue living in the community. There are several options available to seniors who need some help with their daily routine or basic health needs in order to safely remain in their community, such as supports to Seniors in Group Living, Supportive Housing and Personal Care Homes. Explore the options and find the best solution. For more information contact your regional health authority, view the list at

3. Home care services in Manitoba

The Home care program provides services to individuals who need some help with activities of daily living, which helps them stay in their homes for as long as is safely possible. If you’d like more information on how to request home care, speak to your doctor or contact your regional health authority at For more information, you may download Your Guide to Home Care services in Manitoba (pdf).

4. Pharmacare

Pharmacare is a drug benefit program for eligible Manitobans, regardless of disease or age, whose income is seriously affected by high prescription drug costs.

For more information on Pharmacare, or to get an application form, visit the Pharmacare website at (English) or (French) or contact your nearest bilingual service centre.

5. Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate

The Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency registers and provides certificates for events such as births, deaths and marriages. If you need a birth, death or marriage certificate, complete the appropriate application forms on the Vital Statistics website at (English) or (French).

You can also pick up application forms at your nearest bilingual service centre.

6. Change of address

If you have moved to a new location, you will have to change your address with all government services that you currently receive. For example, employment insurance, driver’s licence, Manitoba health card, etc. Visit the Manitoba Address Change website at for a quick and easy way to change your address with several government departments and agencies. Our information specialists can help you with this process.

7. Loss or theft of identification cards

If your government-issued identification documents are lost or stolen, it is important to report them right away to the issuing authority, so that they can be cancelled and you can apply to have new documents issued.

You can apply for a replacement Manitoba health card online at If you were born in Manitoba, the application form to request a birth certificate can be printed from the Vital Statistics Agency website at

If you would like some help with this process, visit your local bilingual service centre.

8. Identity theft and fraud

Identity theft and fraud is a growing and serious crime. It happens when someone uses your personal information without your knowledge or consent to impersonate you and commit crimes in your name, usually for financial gain. It can occur over the Internet or telephone, or via fax or regular mail. You should be very careful with unsolicited emails, telephone calls or mail attempting to extract personal or financial information from you. For tips on how to protect yourself, visit (English) or (French).

You can also learn about identity theft and find advice on the following websites:

If you think you’ve been a victim of identity theft, contact the police immediately.

If you need some help with identity theft, contact your local bilingual service centre.

9. Death in the family

When someone close to you passes on, it is a difficult time for all involved. We can help you with things like requesting a death certificate, advising different government departments and agencies (ex: Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Canada Revenue Agency, Social Insurance Number) and applying for benefits you may be entitled to (death benefit, children’s benefit, survivor’s pension).

Often, funeral service providers will take care of many of these details. But if that’s not the case, we’re here to help.

10. Wills, power of attorney and health care directives

We can help you find publications, websites, and other useful information about wills, power of attorney and health care directives. We can also put you in touch with bilingual attorneys and with organizations that help lower-income individuals.

Please note: We cannot help you draft power-of-attorney papers or wills.

For more information on power of attorney and health care directives, visit or contact a service centre near you, or visit the Public Guardian and Trustee of Manitoba website at You can also download a copy of A Legal Information Guide for Seniors at (pdf)

11. Legal services in French: Infojustice Manitoba

Infojustice Manitoba provides legal information services to Francophones, in French, to improve Francophones’ access to justice within our legal system. Through workshops and individual meetings, the staff at Infojustice Manitoba help individuals understand the various legal matters they could come across in their lives and helps them respond appropriately.

To contact Infojustice Manitoba, call 204-815-5274 (in Winnipeg), toll free 1-844-321-8232 (outside Winnipeg), email or visit (French) or (English).

12. Legal assistance

Legal Aid Manitoba provides legal help to individuals with low incomes. Visit their website at (English) or (French) for more information.

13. Tax Credits

As a senior, depending on your situation, you may be entitled to some tax credits. To get help in applying for the following tax credits, simply click on the relevant link below:

To receive assistance or for more information, contact the information specialist at your nearest bilingual service centre.